HTML5 Boilerplate is the professional badass's base HTML/CSS/JS template for a fast, robust and future-proof site.
After more than three years in iterative development, you get the best of the best practices baked in: cross-browser normalization, performance optimizations, even optional features like cross-domain Ajax and Flash. A starter apache .htaccess config file hooks you the eff up with caching rules and preps your site to serve HTML5 video, use @font-face, and get your gzip zipple on.
Boilerplate is not a framework, nor does it prescribe any philosophy of development, it's just got some tricks to get your project off the ground quickly and right-footed.
Why it is awesome
- Cross-browser compatible (IE6, yeah we got that.)
- HTML5 ready. Use the new tags with certainty.
- Optimal caching and compression rules for grade-A performance
- Best practice site configuration defaults
- Mobile browser optimizations
- Progressive enhancement graceful degradation … yeah yeah we got that
- IE specific classes for maximum cross-browser control
- Handy .no-js and .js classes to style based on capability
Why it is awesome-er
- Console.log nerfing so you won't break anyone by mistake.
- Never go wrong with your doctype or markup!
- An optimal print stylesheet, performance optimized.
- iOS, Android, Opera Mobile-adaptable markup and CSS skeleton.
- .clearfix, .visuallyhidden classes to style things wisely and accessibly.
- .htaccess file that allows proper use of HTML5 features and faster page load
- CDN hosted jQuery with local fallback failsafe.
- Think there's too much? The HTML5 Boilerplate is delete-key friendly. :)
Source: HTML5 Boilerplate
HTML5 Boilerplate - Reviews
Written by David, 11. January 2012 at 5:46 PM
Written by Guest, 05. August 2013 at 5:22 AM